- Agenda for BAPB Hearing (11/15/2016)
- Petition for Departure from Parking Requirements - BD -1-16 (21 pages)
- Staff Report for BAPB Hearing re: Proposed Housing - 288 units (39 pages)
Bowie Marketplace Residential Proposal:
Bowie Marketplace developer, Berman Enterprises has submitted a proposal to build a 288-unit, 4-5-story apartment building at the rear of the Bowie Marketplace shopping center.
BE Bowie LLC has filed a Conceptual Site Plan application for constructing a multi-story, residential apartment building with surface and garage parking. The 5.3-acre site of the proposed building is located in the southern (rear) portion of the Marketplace property, which has frontage on Annapolis Road (MD Route 450), Superior Lane, and Sage Lane. The property is zoned Commercial Shopping Center (C-S-C). The 2006 Bowie and Vicinity Master Plan recommends a Mixed-Use/Residential land use for this property.
Two informational Stakeholders Meetings were held with neighborhood residents on March 8, 2016 and April 14, 2016. At the second Stakeholders Meeting, the developer proposed a maximum 50-foot building height along with: the construction of a flat roof for the entire structure (rather than a peaked roof); a reduction in the number of stories from five to four in the southern and western sections of the building (the other areas will remain at five stories); and a decrease in the number of rental dwelling units from 300 to 285 units.
Hearing before the Bowie Advisory Planning Board (BAPB) on the proposal on November 15. The BAPB consists of seven Bowie resident volunteers. They review development proposals and make recommendations to the City Council on whether or not to support a particular development request. The Board is an important part of the development review process for any proposal affecting Bowie and its recommendations are part of the input that Council receives prior to making development decisions.
The hearing will begin with a brief presentation by staff and the developer. Attendees will also have the opportunity to testify at the hearing. After the BAPB reviews the proposal and makes its recommendation to Council, the City Council will hold its own public hearing and then will vote on whether or not to approve the apartment building. The City Council public hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 8 p.m.
Usually the vote of the City Council is not a binding one, since final development decisions are made at the County level. However, under the terms of a Development Agreement, the City Council has sole and absolute discretion regarding approval of the Conceptual Site Plan for residential housing, and Berman Enterprises is precluded from requesting approval of plans from Prince George’s County unless the City has first approved them.
The BAPB public hearing will take place on November 15, 2016 at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
Bowie Marketplace Background Information:
- Agenda for BAPB Hearing (11/15/2016)
- Petition for Departure from Parking Requirements - BD -1-16
- Staff Report for BAPB Hearing re: Proposed Housing (288 units)
- Marketplace Residential Proposal - BAPB Public Hearing Nov 15 (Notice)
- Residential Elevations and Floor Plans
- Preliminary Plan of Subdivision #4-16028
- Detailed Site Plan
- Conceptual Site Plan
- Alternative Compliance Landscape Plan
- Stakeholders Meeting Memo to Bowie City Council dated March 10, 2016
- Second Stakeholders Meeting Memo to Bowie City Council dated April 21, 2016
- Developer's PowerPoint Presentation from Second Stakeholders Meeting
- City's Planning Department's PowerPoint from Second Stakeholders Meeting
- Traffic Impact Analysis for Bowie Marketplace - March 12, 2016
- Berman Development Agreement
- Pages from the Development Pattern Element
- "Bowie Master Plan - Bowie Mainstreet"
Videos about the Bowie Marketplace Project
Press Conference Announcing Marketplace Project
(March 5, 2015)
Demolition of Bowie Marketplace to make way for the new Marketplace Project
(April 28, 2015)
Stakeholders Meeting #1 re: Marketplace Residential Housing Proposal
(March 8, 2016)
Stakeholders Meeting #2 re: Marketplace Residential Housing Proposal
(April 14, 2016)