Diane Polangin has over 37 years experience in business and business management services, and has been a resident of Bowie since 1962.
Diane was a full partner in a southern Maryland-based builder / developer company which developed over 1,000 acres with moderately-priced homes and two office buildings. Her responsibilities included public relations and promotion, office management and bookkeeping, and administration of other operational aspects of a developer's office.
For many years, Diane was administrator of an architectural firm where she was responsible for business development, contract negotiation and zoning matters, financial and personnel management, as well as client relations and the development of complex projects.
Currently Diane is the owner / operator of Total Tax Service in Bowie, Maryland. In this capacity, she provides services for businesses and individuals, including income tax preparation and electronic transmission of tax returns. In the off-season, Diane teaches income tax preparation.
She is a notary public and is active in civic organizations and clubs. She is a member of:
- The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers
- The National Society of Tax Professionals
- Calvary Baptist Church(serves on its Board of Trustees serving as treasurer)
- The Business and Professional Women
- Soroptimist International of Bowie-Crofton
- Greater Bowie Chamber of Commerce (has served as Legislative Chair)
- Media Chair and Education Foundation Chair for the National Federation of Business and Professional Women
- Mentor for S.O.C.S. (SomeOneCareS), a program for young women from Bowie High School
- Past president of the Business and Professional Women of Maryland
- Past CFO of the Business and Professional Women's Education Foundation of Maryland
- City of Bowie's Community Outreach Committee as secretary
Currently serving as:
- President-Elect for BPW / USA
- Chairwoman and mentor for the Huntington Community Center's Choices and Challenges Program, which provides developmental guidance for youth ages 6-17
Diane has received awards from the city, county, and state government and from several national organizations for her community service and her national advocacy of women's issues, such as domestic violence, equal pay for equal work and other family issues. As a recognized spokesperson, Diane has been an invited guest both in Annapolis and at the White House.
Councilmember Polangin was elected to the Council in 2007 and re-elected in November 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015.