Metal Items, Appliances, and Tires
Metal items, appliances, and tires are handled separate from other collections and are recycled. Collections of these items are done on Wednesdays and must be scheduled.
Schedule a Special Pickup
To schedule a pickup, call the Public Works Department by Tuesday at noon for that week's pick up at 301-809-2344 or submit the request via our online service request system.
Special Pickup - Acceptable Items
Metal items (98% metal)
- Metal cabinets or shelves
- Other metal furniture
- Grills (no propane tanks)
- Metal fence posts (chain link fabric & chicken wire cannot be accepted but may be placed with regular trash for collection
- Dryers, microwaves, stoves, ovens
- Washing machines, dishwashers
- Refrigerators and freezers (make sure door is removed or securely tied closed)
- Water heaters
- Furnaces, air conditioners
- Residents may have up to four automobile tires collected each year. No commercial tires will be collected.
Special Pickup - Unacceptable Items
The items below are not eligible for Special Pickup:
- Items that are not 98% metal
- Propane tanks or other compressed gas cylinders
- Vacuum cleaners (may be disposed of with regular trash)
- Electronics items such as televisions, computers, printers, A/V equipment
(See our page on More Waste and Recycling Resources)
Other Large Items (Large Plastic Items, Furniture, Mattresses, and Rugs)
Furniture, carpets, mattresses, and large plastic items such as toys, flower pots, and patio furniture will be collected with your regularly scheduled trash collections.
- Place items next to your trash container(s) on your collection day.
- Items should be at curb on your regular trash collection day by 7 a.m.
- No appointment is necessary.
- Please consider donating these items rather than throwing them away.