Bowie Gym Open for Some Activities
The Bowie Gym will resume normal operations gradually by offering limited hours Tuesday Through Saturday. Members are able to use the courts for basketball skill building and practices and for walking.
No games are permitted at this time. Please see the current operating details below.
(This information is subject to change.)
Who Can Use the Bowie Gym?
- The Gym is open to Gym members only.
- Gymnasium memberships are available only to Bowie residents who reside within the corporate city limits.
- Guests are not permitted at this time.
- If you are a resident and would like apply for membership or renew your membership, please call 301-809-2388 to make an appointment.
The Gym is open Tuesdays through Friday, 12 p.m. to 7:30 p.m and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. beginning August 8, 2020. Members are encouraged to call ahead to reserve a time slot, but are not required to do so.
Tuesday to Friday
- 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Saturdays (beginning August 8, 2020)
- 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m
- 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- 2 p.m.to 3:30 p.m.
- 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
What Kind of Activities Can Take Place at the Gym?
- Walking is offered during all sessions.
- Shoot-around and other passive skill building activities for basketball
- NOTE: Competitive game play or other activity that may lead to physical contact between two players is prohibited.
Other Rules in Place
- All members must have their membership cards when entering.
- Signed COVID Waivers must be completed by everyone entering the facility. This includes both spectators and members.
- Parents/legal guardians must sign for youth members under the age of 18.
- Youth members must always be supervised by an adult. The ratio of youths to adults is 4 to 1.
- Only members with valid membership cards can be on the playing surfaces.
- Parents/adults without memberships must remain in the spectator areas.
- All social distancing guidelines will be enforced. Everyone must remain 6 feet apart.
- Members are to bring their own basketballs and it is strongly recommended that members do not share their basketballs with others outside their family unit or social distancing bubble.
- Everyone entering the facility is required to wear a mask at all time in all areas such as restrooms, hallways, lobby, and spectator areas and the playing surfaces of the court.
No basketball camps will take place at the Gym this summer.
About the Facility
The City of Bowie Municipal Gymnasium is located on Northview Drive, next to the Bowie Senior Center. This 27,000-square foot facility has two full-sized basketball courts (one 84-feet x 50-feet and the other 90-feet x 50-feet) overlaid with two intermediate basketball courts (74-feet by 42-feet). It is also overlaid to accommodate four volleyball courts (30-feet by 60-feet), which can also be used for young basketball players.
The gym can be partitioned into quarters with ceiling to floor curtains to allow for various activities at the same time. The facility also includes two team rooms that can be divided into four smaller rooms, a sitting and concession area, and office and storage rooms. No fitness equipment is provided at this facility.
For walkers: 11 times around the perimeter of the Gym equals one mile.