Bowie Gym Open for Activities - Updated Information
( effective 6/1/21)
Hours of Operation
The City of Bowie Gymnasium is open for organized sports activity as well as unorganized recreational activity.
- Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
(9 a.m. - 10 a.m. is reserved for walkers only)
- Saturdays & Sundays from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Who Can Use the Gym?
- The Gym is open to members who may bring up to two non-member guests.
- Memberships are available only to residents within the corporate city limits.
- If you are a resident and would like apply for membership or renew your membership this can be done in person during normal hours of operation. Valid picture identification is required for proof of residency.
Annual Membership Fees
- Youth Membership: Age 6 - 17 is $25 per year
- Adult Membership: Age 18 - 54 is $45 per year
- Senior Membership: Age 55+ is free
Daily Guest Fees
All guests must be accompanied by a valid member at all times.
- Youth: Age 6 - 17 $5 per day
- Adults: Age 18 -54 $10 per day
- Seniors 55+ $5 per day
Court rental opportunities are now available for basketball, volleyball, and pickleball for non-competitive and competitive play. All County, State and Federal COVID guidance must be followed at all times. For details, contact Duncan Churches (301-809-2384 or by email).
What Kinds of Activities Can Take Place at the Gym?
- Walking (9 a.m. -10 a.m., weekdays only)
- Basketball play
- Volleyball play
- Pickleball play
Other Rules in Place
- All members must show their membership cards when entering.
- Signed COVID-19 waivers must be completed by everyone entering the facility. This includes both guests and members.
- Effective 5/28/21 at 5 p.m., masks are no longer required indoors, although unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to wear them.
- Parents/legal guardians must sign for individuals under the age of 18.
- Youth members and guests between the ages of 6 to 14 years old must always be under adult supervision.
- Only members with valid membership cards and their paying guests can be on the playing surfaces.
- Parents/adults without memberships must remain in the spectator areas, unless they pay a guest fee.
About the Facility
The City of Bowie Municipal Gymnasium is located on Northview Drive, next to the Bowie Senior Center. This 27,000-square foot facility has two full-sized basketball courts (one 84-feet x 50-feet and the other 90-feet x 50-feet) overlaid with two intermediate basketball courts (74-feet by 42-feet). It is also overlaid to accommodate four volleyball courts (30-feet by 60-feet), which can also be used for young basketball players.
The gym can be partitioned into quarters with ceiling to floor curtains to allow for several activities at the same time. The facility also includes two team rooms that can be divided into four smaller rooms, a sitting and concession area, and office and storage rooms. No fitness equipment is provided at this facility.
For walkers: 11 times around the perimeter of the Gym equals one mile.