What Rental Property Owners Need to Know
- All rental properties built before 1978 must be registered with the State of Maryland Department of Environment (DER). Registration requires a tracking number, completing an application, and obtaining a Lead Free inspection certificate. To obtain a tracking number please call DER at 410-537-4199 or 800-776-2706.
- The annual registration fee is $30 per unit.
- Rental properties built after 1977 that have a passing Lead Free inspection certificate are exempt from registering.
- If you are currently registered, a renewal form must be completed and a fee must be paid to DER. To find your Tracking Number or a copy of your Renewal Form please call: 410-537-4199 or 800-776-2706.
- A new lead inspection certificate is required for any turnover in tenant or change of occupancy.
- The State of Maryland, Department of Environment manages and enforces this program. The State may apply civil and administrative fees and penalties for noncompliance. The City of Bowie is required to report noncompliance to DER.
- For more information, please visit the Maryland Department of Environment, Lead Registration webpage. For a brief overview of new changes to the registry, please review DER’s Lead Rental Property Registry Search.