A shed is a small structure used to store items related to or used in connection with a residence. Sheds are accessory buildings and must comply with the Bowie City Code, the Prince George's County Zoning Ordinance, and applicable building codes. They must be maintained in good repair, structurally safe and sound, and free of peeling paint, graffiti, and corrosion.
They may not be used for the storage of:
- Cargo vehicles
- Commercial business products
- Hazardous materials
A City of Bowie building permit and a Prince George's County building permit are required for:
- Any shed with a floor area of 150 square feet or more.
- A second shed or an accessory building, no matter the size.
Permits must be obtained before a shed is built or delivered to the property.
Bowie City Code
Lots greater than 20,000 sq. ft.: Only the Prince George's County Zone Ordinance and building codes apply.
Prince George's County Code
- Location: Sheds may only be located in the rear yard. On lots having no rear yard (through lots) and on corner lots where the designated front of the main building faces the side street, the shed may be located in the yard opposite the designated front of the main building.
- Setbacks: 2 feet from the side lot line and 2 feet from the rear lot line.
Storage tents are not permitted.
For more information on sheds and other accessory structures, contact the Code Compliance Office at 301-809-3008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.