- Planning and Sustainability
- Development Projects
- Bowie Town Center Sears Parcel Redevelopment
Sears Parcel Redevelopment
The City has received a referral of a proposed two-lot subdivision plan for the Sears property at Bowie Town Center. Seritage SRC Finance, LLC has proposed a mixed-use concept for the property.
Subdivision of the 10.8-acre lot into two lots will allow the BJs restaurant to exist on its own lot of approximately one acre, while the redevelopment would eventually take place on the remaining land area now occupied by the former Sears building and parking lot. Under the County’s review procedures, site plans will still have to be submitted for future development. The proposed Preliminary Plan #4-20034 will not create any new square footage or building sites, nor will it have any impacts. The subdivision is basically a ministerial action, which is permitted under County law. No City review is necessary at this time. (9/23/21 Council Status Report)
On September 10, 2020 the Prince George’s County Planning Board heard Basic Plan Amendment #A-8589-04. This application was the subject of two City Council virtual hearings: the first on August 3; and, the second on September 8, when the Council recommended approval. At the September 10 Planning Board hearing, City staff read into the record one condition and three considerations for the project, emphasizing the importance expressed by the Council that each has on the influence of the redevelopment of the subject property (Lot 6).
Specifically, these included:
Condition: A maximum of 600 units may be provided within the development on Lot 6. Considerations:
- Workforce housing is to be included as part of the project on Lot 6. The percentage of workforce housing units within the development on Lot 6 will be established at the time of Comprehensive Design Plan review.
- The development of Lot 6 shall utilize a high-quality design that fully integrates the proposal with existing uses within the retail component of the Bowie New Town Center, including the application of multi-modal and place-making techniques, green and open space and the use of local and native plant species.
- The Applicant shall consider the viability of active adult housing on Lot 6 at the time of Comprehensive Design Plan review.
At the conclusion of the hearing, the Prince George's County Planning Board voted to approve Basic Plan #Amendment #A-8589-04, including the above condition and considerations. Motion for approval, made by Commissioner Washington and seconded by Commissioner Geraldo, passed unanimously.
- A mixed-use redevelopment of the Sears Parcel in the Bowie Town Center is proposed.
- Proposal: Seritage SRC Finance, LLC, the current owner of the Sears Parcel at Bowie Town Center, has proposed redeveloping their parcel with mixed-use development
- Location: South side of MD 197 and north/west sides of Evergreen Parkway
- Acreage/Zoning: 10.8 acres/M-A-C (Major Activity Center)
- Current Proposal Description: A mixed-use project including: up to 800 residential units (Multifamily, townhouses (not to exceed 150 units) and/or beds in an assisted living facility; retail uses (restaurants and shops); a hotel use (maximum of 150 rooms); and/or office uses.
Public Meetings and Hearings Held
Below is a list of meetings/public hearings that took place regarding the Bowie Town Center Basic Plan Amendment:
- Stakeholders Meeting January 23, 2019 - view meeting video
- Stakeholders Meeting: June 16, 2020 - view meeting video
- Bowie Advisory Planning Board: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - view meeting video
- Bowie City Council: Monday, August 3, 2020 - View meeting video
- Sears Property Town Hall Meeting: August 26, 2020 - view meeting video
- Bowie City Council: September 8, 2020
All meetings were virtual.
Bowie Town Center Mixed Used Development
City Council requested the following information as it reviewed this project:
- Waugh Chapel Commercial 9-16-20
- Waugh Chapel Dwelling Units 9-16-20
- Status Report 9-10-20 M-NCPPC Results
- Expected Number of Students Generated by Sears Redevelopment
- Bowie Town Center Demographic Detail Report
- Beacon at Waugh Chapel Demographic Detail Report
- Apartments Near Waugh Chapel (1 -1.25 mile radius)
- Bowie Multi-Family Vacancy Report 2011-2015
- Bowie Multi-Family Vacancy Report 2016-2020
Amendments to the following will be required:
(1) Amendment to approved Basic Plan
(2) Revision to approved Comprehensive Design Plan
(3) Preliminary Plan of Subdivision
(4) Revision to approved Specific Design Plan
Prior Approvals for Bowie Town Center
May 2019 - Revision to specific Design Plan #SDP-9711-17 to convert eight existing parking spaces to three Electric Vehicle charging spaces and the necessary ancillary equipment to support the electric charging units. (staff level approval)
April 3, 2017 - The City Council voted to recommend APPROVAL of #SDP-9711-16 for BJ’s Restaurant/Brewhouse proposed in the Bowie Town Center with six conditions.
December 1999 – County Planning Board Approval of a revision to the Town Center Comprehensive Design Plan (CDP) and a SDP for the main retail core area on Parcel 9 (the original retail core area developed by the Simon Property Group).
November 1999 - The City Council approved a Departure from Design Standards (#BD-4-99) for the use of universal-sized parking spaces (9 ft. by 18 ft.) and a lower parking ratio for the entire retail core area.