Bowie State University Call for Artists
The City of Bowie Arts Committee is hosting an art exhibition open to current Bowie State University students, staff and faculty.
Bowie State University students, staff and faculty are invited to submit their works of art (photographs, painting, drawing, graphic design, digital art, animation and sculpture to be juried by the Bowie Arts Committee for inclusion in the BSU Exhibition at the Bowie City Hall Gallery from January 21 - May 20, 2023.
Performing Arts: Students in the performing arts may also submit a link to their performance to be included in the exhibition but not juried. Videos should be no longer than 3 minutes. Bowie State University will compile a final presentation of selected performing arts videos that will be shared on an electronic device in the gallery.
Eligibility And Requirements: Any original 2-D and 3-D work that meets the exhibition guidelines will be considered. Artists must be a current student, staff or faculty member at Bowie State University. Artists must use their BSU email address. A contract for the exhibit must be signed and returned for all accepted artwork before the exhibit opens online.
The BAC reserves the right to refuse any artwork that fails to meet these requirements.
Digital Image Specifications: Digital images will be used not only for online photos, but also for jurying and planning the exhibit, and publicity purposes. Therefore, they should be the best quality you can obtain. We also recommend that you watermark your images with your name or logo.
- Images should be at least 72 dpi, 500 kb in file size and saved in JPEG format. The image file size must not exceed 2MB.
- Name your files as follows: Last name First name Title.jpg. Example: LeeAnnieBlueMonday.jpg.
- No printed text, other than the artist’s name or watermark, should be visible on photographs. Images must be cropped to show the painting only, no mats or frames showing.
- Framed artwork may be no more than 40” horizontally and vertically.
- Sculptures must be no larger than 24” horizontally and 36" vertically to fit in one of our two display cabinets. If the sculpture can stand on its' own base without additional support, it must be no larger than 12
- Any submissions not following the above guidelines will not be accepted.
Procedure for Entry: Complete Google Entry Form (https://forms.gle/BDyQmx3TCb5bx7ZZA), upload your digital images or share your link. The artist should submit no more than two works of art. The City will not accept for exhibit at City Hall any artwork containing religious themes and images, nudity, politically offensive images, or graphically explicit scenes or images. Entries that do not meet the specifications or those received after December 8, 2022 at 5 p.m. are not eligible.
Selection: Selection for exhibition will be made by the City of Bowie Arts Committee from JPEG images.
Sales: All sales are between the purchaser and the artist. No commission will be collected by the City of Bowie. Sale and artist contact information will be included in the exhibit brochure.
Questions: Please contact Lori Cunningham at email@example.com at 301-832-7451.
You may also contact Bowie State University for assistance with your artwork:
- Tamara DeSilva, Assistant Professor of Studio Art (3D) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Art Vidrine, Assistant Professor of Art at email@example.com
If you have questions about the Bowie State University Department of Fine and Performing Arts, please contact:
- Shellie Ann Cruz, Office Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to Submit: December 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM