Belair Mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, offers a look at Bowie’s earliest history. Built circa 1745 for Provincial Governor Samuel Ogle and his wife, Anne Tasker Ogle, the Mansion later became one of the homes of William Woodward, noted American horseman of the 20th century. Enlarged by Woodward in 1914, the Mansion today reflects its 250-year use as a residence.
Interested in learning more about Belair Mansion?
Click on the links below to learn the history of the site, as view video guided tours of the mansion and surrounding landscape.
The History of Belair Mansion
Guided Tour of the First Floor, Basement and Grounds
Guided Tour of the Second and Third Floors
Today, the Mansion interprets the lives of residents from 1747-1950. The museum collection contains a wide array of objects, including:
- A magnificent Colonial Revival card table owned by William Woodward
- A table made by Annapolis craftsman John Shaw,
- An 18th century portrait of Col. Benjamin Tasker by artist John Wollaston
- Family silver
- Paintings of “The Seasons,” given to Samuel Ogle by Maryland’s Proprietor, Lord Baltimore
- Woodward’s privately issued prints of a number of Belair Stud’s famous Thoroughbred racehorses
Museum hours are listed below. Tours for groups of 10 or more are available by appointment. Admission is free; donations are welcomed. The Mansion is also available for rentals for groups of 75 or less persons. For information on rentals, call 301-832-7126.