How to Join
Requirements to Join
The City of Bowie Explorer Post 1916 is looking for ambitious, determined, and compassionate individuals who are eager to learn about police work, leadership, and service to the community. High school students in the honors program can use their service in the Explorer Post as part of their community service hours required for graduation.
Who Are We Looking for?
We are looking for interested youth ages 14 to 20 who:
- Have no major criminal records
- Are maintaining at least a 2.0 GPA
- Are enrolled in basic or honors courses
- Are able to attend bi-weekly Thursday night meetings
- Are willing to perform community service with the post each month
- Are able to arrange transportation to the weekly meetings or events
- Can be a team player within a paramilitary organization
- Have the desire to learn and be dedicated and loyal to the Police Explorer program
How to Join
- Interested individuals are required to attend three biweekly Thursday evening Post meetings (7 p.m. to 8 p.m.) at the Bowie Police Department in order to complete the probationary period.
- At the first meeting, you will be given a Post 1916 Application to complete and bring to the next meeting. If you are under 18 years of age, it must be read and signed by a parent or guardian.
- An interview will be set up and conducted by the Explorer Advisor Staff. A background check will be conducted. This will consist of checking school records and checking national, state, and local police records. Upon a favorable report, the individual will be accepted into the program.
Once accepted into the program, the Explorer will receive a polo shirt and the post rules and bylaws.