Environmental Advisory Committee
The mission of the Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC) is to recommend policies and programs to the City Council relating to the environment, public education, and outreach.
In the founding Council Resolution (R-59-07) the EAC is charged with recommending “... policies and programs (that) shall promote a sustainable community through initiatives relating to such issues as natural resource management and development, wildlife and wildlife habitat protection, energy efficiency, watershed stewardship and protection, pollution prevention, beautification, tree canopy preservation, and green policies” and “public education and outreach on all these issues.”
Overview of Issues
To promote a sustainable community through initiatives relating to such issues as:
- Energy efficiency
- Green policies
- Natural resource management and development
- Pollution prevention
- Renewable energy use
- Tree canopy preservation
- Watershed stewardship and protection
- Wildlife and wildlife habitat protection
In the last few years, the EAC has specifically:
- worked with City Council to pass a resolution proclaiming 2020 as Earth Year in the City of Bowie in order to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Earth Day
- resolved to limit greenhouse gas emissions to 50% of 2015 levels by the year 2030. This was done while working on the Climate Action Plan, a comprehensive plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to mitigate the effects of climate change. The plan was adopted by the City Council to run from 2020-2025 through resolution R-47-20 which was unanimously approved on July 6, 2020.
- voted to join the Climate Mayors Network in support of the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Implemented a pollinator planting at a stormwater facility.
Every year the EAC compiles a list of priority actions for the recommendation to the City Council as well as for the group to focus on within the community.