Awards, Contests & Scholarships
City Recognition Programs
The City Council believes it is important to encourage residents and businesses to be involved in City affairs and to take pride in Bowie. One of the ways Bowie does this is through awards and contests that recognize and sometimes reward individuals, organizations, schools and businesses for their actions in a particular area. Follow the links below to learn more about each program.
- Beautification - Recognizes beautiful gardens and landscapes throughout the City.
- Excellence in Education - Honors educators who consistently go above and beyond to help students excel
- Field of Honor - A tribute to those who lost their life in service to their country, either as members of the Armed Forces or on the frontlines in the battle against COVID.
- Green Citizen Award - Recognizes a citizen who demonstrates outstanding practices in sustainability and community outreach.
- Hall of Honor - Recognizes those that have made lasting contributions to Bowie
- Memorial Tree and Bench Recognition Program - Memorializes deceased individuals who were residents of Bowie.
- Popp Award - Recognizes a standout Scout or Scout leader for extraordinary service
- Women Trailblazers - Honors women in all walks of life who have been leaders or trailblazers
2023 Women Trailblazer Awardees:
The Hon. Sheila Tillerson Adams, Ms. Elizabeth Hewlett, Esq., Dr. Jacqueline Marshall, Ms. Kathleen Parker, & Ms. Evelyn Archie
- Holiday House Decorating Contest - Recognizes homes that are decorated for the holidays. Deadline is usually the first week in December.
- Martin Luther King, Jr Art Contest - Promotes the legacy of Dr. King through art for school- aged children