Awards, Grants & Scholarships
City Recognition Programs
The City Council believes it is important to encourage residents and businesses to be involved in City affairs and to take pride in Bowie. One of the ways Bowie does this is through recognition programs and contests that recognize and sometimes reward individuals, organizations, schools and businesses for their actions in a particular area. Follow the links below to learn more about each program.
- Beautification Awards - Recognizes beautiful yards & outdoor areas
- Excellence in Education - Honors teachers
- Hall of Honor - Recognizes those that have made lasting contributions to Bowie
- Holiday House Decorating Contest - Recognizes homes that are decorated for the holidays. Deadline is usually the first week in December.
- Business Awards - Recognizes local businesses. Nominations are accepted in the spring and the award ceremony is in May.
- Popp Award - Recognizes a standout scout or scout leader
- Public Safety Awards - Honors those who protect the people of Bowie as first responder public safety professionals, whether serving in career or volunteer capacities. Awards are usually presented in August.
- Martin Luther King, Jr Art Contest - promotes legacy of Dr. King through art
- Art Grants - for organizations and individuals to develop an interactive art program in Bowie
- Community Outreach - for organizations and individuals helping the needs of Bowie residents
- Education - for schools and PTA/PTOs to supplement a need within a school
- Arts - award to student studying art in college
- Excellence in Education - award to student(s) for overall academic achievement
- Memorial Tree Program - memorial trees may be planted at Acorn Hill Park