Youth Leadership Bowie
Youth Leadership Bowie (YLB) began in 1998 as a co-venture with the Greater Bowie Chamber of Commerce (GBCC) and the City of Bowie. It provides a glimpse into the complex world of business and government for high school students.
Local businesses, as well as the City of Bowie, Prince George’s County, the Bowie Baysox Baseball Club and the Bowie Lions, have provided financial support for YLB. Administrative support is provided by the GBCC.
This year-long program is designed to provide young people with experiential leadership opportunities while exposing them to different career paths. Networking and relationship building are key components of this program that motivates participants to get involved in their community.
The program runs from September through May. Participants meet one day per month for a group activity and to complete a community service project. For the student participants, Youth Leadership Bowie will:
- Increase knowledge of critical issues affecting the Greater Bowie area.
- Create an awareness of the individual’s role in the community.
- Develop and enhance leadership potential in the participants.
- Provide opportunities to interact with people from diverse backgrounds and participate in team building.
- Plan and implement a community project that will benefit the greater Bowie community.
Youth Leadership Bowie accepts applications from students entering their sophomore and junior years in high school. Students must live in Bowie or attend Bowie High School.
Applicants will demonstrate a record of community activity or show an interest in becoming involved in the Bowie community.
To be considered for acceptance into the next Youth Leadership Bowie program, please complete an application and submit it to the Greater Bowie Chamber of Commerce before the advertised deadline. Questions about the program can be answered by calling the Chamber of Commerce office at 301-262-0920.