Why plant trees? A large, healthy tree canopy means...
- Clean Air, as trees sequester (get rid of!) carbon in the atmosphere
- Energy Savings, because shade provides a natural cooling effect on homes
- Beauty, provided in landscape design, fall color, and gorgeous blooms
- Shade, to block out the summer sun's intense heat
- Clean Water, as tree roots also sequester contaminants in the soil and rainwater
- Privacy, as trees provide a natural cover of your property
Trees are a valuable resource that provide many benefits to our community and to the earth, and we need more of them. Help the City of Bowie reach its tree canopy goal of 45%. We are currently at about a 42% cover, and the greatest opportunity to plant more trees in the City exists on private property. If every household plants one tree, we would surpass our goal!
Tree Planting Programs in Bowie
ResidentsThe City previously offered both $50 and $100 rebates for residents who purchased native trees to plant on their property. However, this program was discontinued in June of 2020 and a new program called Plant One Tree On Us started. This is a "turn key" program for residents to pick out a tree from our list of acceptable species, decide where it should be planted, and even have it planted for them by our contractor.
The State of Maryland offers a coupon that is worth $25 off the purchase of one tree with a retail value of $50 or more at participating Maryland retail nurseries and garden centers. The discount is taken at the register at the time of the sale.
$25 Tree Coupon for Maryland Residents
HOAs and Community GroupsPrince George's County wants to help your community "turn green" with trees! Through the Tree ReLEAFGrant Program, the County provides funds to community groups for planting native trees and shrubs in public or private common areas.
Small community based projects are eligible to receive up to $5,000 per project. Examples of projects that have received include tree plantings in parks and on playgrounds, memorial and street tree plantings, and reforestation projects along streams. For more information, contact 301-883-5802 or 301-883-5822.
County Tree ReLeaf Program
SchoolsThe County's Department of the Environment is working to increase the number of native trees and shrubs planted in the county. Arbor Day Every Day provides free trees for schools to plant and maintain on school grounds. This program educates students on the everyday importance of native trees, empowers them to enhance their community and provides funds for planting projects.
Arbor Day Every Day Program
CongregationsThe Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay is partnering with the Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake to encourage houses of worship to plant trees on their property. This ambitious program, Trees for Sacred Places, offers houses of worship the following:
- Educational workshops on the importance of tree planting in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
- Hands-on training for tree planting and maintenance
- Crew leaders to guide the houses of worship volunteers on the planting day
- And of course, FREE trees!