- Home Buyer Assistance Program
Bowie First Time Homebuyer Program
Apply Now for the "Bowie First" Mortgage Assistance Program
The City of Bowie, in cooperation with the State of Maryland, is providing grants to assist first-time homebuyers who are teachers, persons with disabilities, City government employees, or Police Officers purchasing a home in the City. The grant is in the form of closing cost assistance at the time of purchase.
The following information outlines the basic program guidelines, eligibility requirements, and the application process. Information is subject to change without notice.
“Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program funds are only for persons purchasing homes in the City of Bowie.
Program Information and Applicant Guidelines:
- Grants are for $2,000.These funds will be matched by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development’s Community Partners Incentive Program (CPIP), thereby providing a total of $4,000 for each applicant. Applicants may not get cash back at settlement.
- Purchasers must have a minimum of $1,000 of their own funds to commit to the transaction. These funds may be in the form of earnest money deposits, grant application fees, appraisal fees, home inspection fees, termite inspection fees, etc.
- “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program Funds are structured as a grant. After the five-year term, the grant becomes permanent. If the home is sold during the five-year grant term, the owner must repay the grant in full. The grant proceeds must be a part of the payout at settlement.
- The “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program fund may be combined with other standard down-payment/closing cost grants, and with grants offered by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development, Community Development Administration. Applicants should check with MD DHCD, or by calling 1-800-638-7781.
- Purchasers must obtain a home inspection by a certified, licensed home inspector. Purchasers must also obtain a termite inspection.
- The City of Bowie may conduct a separate home inspection. Both inspections may be required for the “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program.
- Each participant will have to pre-qualify with the City and then apply to one of the State approved lenders for their home acquisition loan. MD DHCD’S programs require the borrower to go through the Maryland Mortgage Program (MMP).
- The list of Approved Lenders for the MMP will be on the City’s website as well as on MD DHCD’S website. The list is also available by calling toll-free 1-800-638-7781.
- Applicants will be eligible for MD DHCD’S “Community Partners Incentive Program” (CPIP). CPIP is only for teachers, Persons with Disabilities, City of Bowie government employees, and Police Officers who are first-time homebuyers purchasing a home in the City of Bowie.
- Applications for the pre-qualification process are available at City Hall and online (see below under "How to Apply").
- Purchaser(s) must buy a home located in the corporate city limits of the City of Bowie, Maryland. Addresses can be checked for being within City of Bowie boundaries on this page: www.cityofbowie.org/addresscheck
- Purchaser(s) must live in the home as their primary residence during the term of the grant for closing cost assistance; no temporary subleases of the subject property will be allowed.
- Purchaser(s) must complete an intensive, HUD Certified Homebuyer Education and Homeowner Counseling program within one year of applying for “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program funds.
- The City of Bowie strongly recommends that “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program applicants meet with a homebuyer education and homeownership counselor prior to submitting a grant application to ensure clear understanding of the program, the process, and the required documentation.
- When negotiating a contract to purchase a home, please remember the following items:
- Allow at least 60 days for settlement. Applications take a considerable amount of time for processing.
- Attach a home inspection addendum to your sales contract. The City of Bowie requires the inspection to be conducted by a certified home inspector.
- Include an appraisal contingency. City of Bowie and Maryland DHCD funds will require an appraisal.
- The seller must sign a relocation disclosure letter. The City of Bowie will provide the letter.
- Applicants applying for “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program funds are responsible for submitting all documentation required for the program. Borrowers should not assume their lenders or realtors are providing the documents.
- “Bowie First” Mortgage Assistance Program applications MAY BE REJECTED if the first mortgage grant is deemed to be predatory in nature. Grant terms will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- The City of Bowie WILL NOT accept faxed copies of application submissions. Application packages may be mailed or hand delivered to the Office of Grant Development & Administration, Mortgage Assistance Program, 15901 Fred Robinson Way, Bowie, MD 20716
The City of Bowie approves homebuyer education courses offered by housing counseling agencies that are approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Below are four such agencies with offices in Prince George’s County:
Approved Homebuyer Education Courses
United Communities Against Poverty, (UCAP) 1400 Doewood Lane Capitol Heights, MD 20743 301-322-5700 Website: www.ucappgc.org Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Centro DE Apoyo Familiar (CAF) 6801 Kenilworth Avenue, Suite 201 Riverdale, MD 20737 301-328-3292 Website: www.mycaf.org Email: email@example.com
Housing Initiative Partnerships, (HIP) 6525 Belcrest Road, Suite 555 Hyattsville, MD 20782 301-699-5875 Website: www.hiphomes.org Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Homefree-USA of the Washington DC Metropolitan Area 3401 East West Highway Hyattsville, MD 20782 301-891-8400 Website: www.homefreeusa.org Email: email@example.com
How to Apply
Please click here to fill out the online application form. A member of the Office of Grant Development & Administration staff will respond with additional information after receipt of the form.
Please direct your questions to the Office of Grant Development & Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.