Participate in our one minute survey regarding different food waste diversion efforts including backyard compost bins, curbside food waste pickup, and drop off sites. Your input matters and can help decide what programs advance in order to meet our goals. Take the survey here!
Green Bowie is the umbrella term used to describe all of the City's environmental initiatives. Green Bowie helps the City government, residents, businesses and more to become greener, cleaner, and more sustainable. Everyone can be involved in one way or another, for example:
- Install a rain barrel on your property
- Purchase/use a compost bin
- Volunteer with the Green Team for gardening efforts and invasive plant removal
- Replace older (less energy efficient) light bulbs with LEDs
- Choose not to use single-use plastic products
- Drive an electric vehicle
- Use natural products that do not contain harsh chemicals
These are all actions that will define the future of our Green Bowie. Please browse all of the pages in the Green Bowie section to find more green tips about recycling, lawn care, trees, energy efficiency and much more. And to learn more about our City goals please view our Sustainability Plan.
Green Bowie E-Newsletter
Subscribe to the Green Bowie E-Newsletter to receive monthly emails with Green Bowie news, events, sustainability tips, and more! To view the most recent edition or past E-newsletters, please visit the E-newsletter archive.
Get Involved with a City Committee
Adopting A Road:
|Evergreen Parkway||IBBNB, Inc.|
|Northview||Bowie Hockey Club|
|Heritage Blvd||Bowie Environmental Advisory Committee|
|Superior Lane||Bowie Methodist Churches|
|Gallant Fox Way||Dr. Denise, DDS|
|Health Center Drive||Build A Better Bowie|
|Pointer Ridge Drive||Build A Better Bowie|
|Mitchellville (from Route 197 to Harbour Way)||Green Team Executive Committee|
|Harbour Way||Niyama Yogi Traveler|
|Easthaven Lane||Pending adoption|
|Mt. Oak (from Mitchellville to Church Road)||Grateful Charities|
|Old Collington Road||Niyama Yogi Traveler|
|Grenville Lane||Ladies of Bowie|
|Gothic Lane||Bowie Lions Club|
|Gullivers Trail||Bowie Lions Club|
Want to lessen your carbon foot print, but aren't necessarily ready to purchase an electric vehicle or to partake in solar? One easy way to help the environment is by using electric lawn care tools. Many brands now have complete suites of yard tools including mowers, weed whackers, hedge trimmers and leaf blowers, with interchangeable batteries that can be used in all pieces of equipment.
- Electric mowers are eligible for a $50 rebate
- Mulching or manual mowers are eligible for a $50 rebate
- Electric hedge trimmers, weed wackers, and leaf blowers are eligible for a $25 rebate each
- If you purchase all four items, the mower, hedge trimmer, weed whacker, and leaf blower, you will receive a $150 rebate.
- Items must be purchased after July 1, 2022.
Obtaining A Rebate
To obtain your cash rebate, bring proof of city residency* and the receipt to the Finance Department at City Hall, 15901 Fred Robinson Way. If the receipt does not specify the mower type please also bring a manual or other documentation for the mower.
Finance Department hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 5 p.m. Limitations to these rebates are described above in the "What's Eligible" section. If you have questions please call 301-809-3073.
*Only residents who live within the municipal limits of the City of Bowie are eligible for these rebates. To see if your address is within the City of Bowie visit our address lookup page.
Bowie homeowners have the opportunity to save money and improve the comfort and safety of their homes by completing a BGE Home Performance with Energy Star home energy audit ($100 value) at no cost through this City-sponsored program. The program is limited to the first 50 City of Bowie homeowners who submit an application each fiscal year.
To participate in the program, please complete the energy audit application. You will be contacted first by the Sustainability Planner about how to proceed and then within a few days, one of our BGE-approved contractors (American Home Performance or Elysian Energy) will contact you to schedule the audit.
Learn about ventilation, insulation, moisture control and options you can take to improve the air quality and energy efficiency of your home. Watch an interactive video full of energy efficiency tips, hosted by Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®.
If you have any questions about the program, please email the Sustainability Planner.
The urban tree canopy (UTC) is the layer of tree leaves and branches seen from above. The benefits of individual trees and overall higher UTC range from energy conservation and increased home values to cleaner air and water. Because City Council set a goal of 45% tree canopy coverage, and residential land has the highest potential for increasing UTC, the City has a new turn-key tree planting program called Plant One Tree on Us (POTOU).
An overview of the process is as follows:
- Complete the online reservation
- Choose a location and contact Miss Utility to ensure no utility issues
- Sign and return the homeowner agreement send to you by the Sustainability Planner
- Closer to the time of the planting, staff will drop a small orange marking flag at your house. The flag will need to be placed in the ground exactly where you want the tree planted and provide safe access to the yard for the contractor.
Contact the Sustainability Planner with any questions.
Please visit the POTOU webpage for more information.