COVID-19 Relief Provided by the CARES Act
The City of Bowie has received funding under the federal CARES Act to provide support to Bowie residents. Programs include:
- Emergency Rental Assistance
- Food Distribution
Emergency Food Distribution Events for City of Bowie Residents
As part of the City’s CDBG-CV-funded relief programs, the City of Bowie will be distributing emergency food aid to city residents at selected locations across the City. The City’s Office of Grant Development and Administration (OGDA) will administer five food distribution events across the City. The remaining one takes place on: Saturday, November 14, 2020: Grace Lutheran Church, 2503 Belair Drive, Bowie, MD 20715
Food will be distributed from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. (or until all food is gone.) All food will be non-perishable and include ingredients for a selection of meals. Volunteers, wearing masks and gloves, will load food into vehicles and staff will gather information from residents in their cars; residents will not exit their vehicles.
Only City of Bowie residents are eligible for this program. Residents will be required to provide identification and a piece of mail with a Bowie address on it to qualify for assistance. Please check to make sure your address is within City of Bowie limits at this check residency link.
Previous food events;
- Saturday, October 17, 2020: Rockledge Elementary School, 7701 Laurel Bowie Rd, Bowie, MD 20715
- Saturday, October 24, 2020: Bowie Marketplace Parking Lot behind Harris Teeter, 15501 Annapolis Rd, Bowie, MD 20715
- Saturday, October 31, 2020: Bowie Town Center Parking Lot behind 5 Guys, 3851 Town Center Blvd, Bowie, MD 20716
- Saturday, November 7, 2020: Village Baptist Church, Mitchellville Road, Bowie, MD 20716
For more information, or if you wish to volunteer, please contact Program Coordinator Kay Starr at 301-809-3009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Rental Assistance Program for Bowie Residents
The City of Bowie COVID-19 Emergency Rent Assistance Program provides short-term rental assistance to eligible households who have lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic and caused them to fall behind on their rent. While funds are available, the program will provide up to one month’s rent to eligible households to cover the cost for back rent (arrears).
- Funds are limited, so apply promptly
- Funds are distributed on a first come, first served basis
- Apply online via the Housing Initiative Partnership's website
- Download the application and instructions to print, complete, and return to Bowie City Hall, 15901 Excalibur Road, Bowie, MD 20715 (DO NOT MAIL)
- Hard copies of the applications and instructions are available to pick up at Bowie City Hall
Are You Experiencing Difficulties Staying in Your Home Due to COVID-19?
The City of Bowie Office of Grant Development and Administration (OGDA) is offering relief to renters experiencing financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic through the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). Eligible Bowie residents may receive rental assistance from the City of Bowie to help remain in their homes.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Bowie tenants who live within the incorporated boundaries of the City of Bowie that can document hardship as a direct result of COVID-19. Renters must be on-rent as of March 31, 2020.
WHAT DOES ERAP COVER?
ERAP covers the amount required by the landlord to resolve the outstanding balance less any funds available to be contributed by the applicant or one month’s rent, whichever is less. Late rent for periods prior to April 1, 2020 will not be paid with the City of Bowie Rental Assistance funds.
TENANT ELIGIBILTY REQUIREMENTS
• Valid lease agreement.
• Income must be at or below 80% of the area median income guideline.
• The household must have experienced loss of income due to COVID-19
MINIMUM DOCUMENTATION NEEDED
• IRS W-9 Form
• Proof of income for all household members for at least 30 days.
• Proof of emergency, copy of lease, and rent ledger.
• Contact Emergency Rent Assistance Specialist Paola Villatoro, at email@example.com
• Refer to www.hiphomes.org/bowieERA for additional information